After six of our eight weeks away from India, our minds are starting to focus once again on what our fall (also known as the second monsoon season) will bring upon our return.
The three months in which we are back in India prior to our return to the States our focus will be on accomplishing the following tasks in our continuing effort to build a solid foundation for this program so it’s around long after us (our main goal during these couple years):
- Visiting and securing the eleven new homes – we have visited once, other staff have visited multiple times, but getting ten children to feel “at home” in a new church home takes time, training, resources and effort. Our visit in early October will be a very special trip for us to acquaint with the new children.
- Facebook and other social media fundraising for shoes, backpacks, uniforms, etc. for the new children. Another exciting project for the fall will be raising support for each of our children to receive their first Bible upon graduation from 5th grade (which is currently 30 children).
- Training sessions for home parents, which involves materials, food, transportation, and cross-cultural communication and, hopefully, understanding!
- Taking on the second half of our undertaking in India, the Covenant Children’s Development Center (“CCDC”): This is essentially an after-school (and dinner) tutoring program and support center for children’s education and health, run out of various village churches. Another outreach and future-minded attempt to slash poverty through education, discipleship and physical and emotional nurturing of some children in need. You’ll hear more about the ten current development centers and all future ones in coming blogs!
- It’s never too early to start thinking about how in the world to pay for all these children’s education beyond high school! Yep, over the next 15 years, approximately 500 current and future Covenant Children’s Homes children will be prepared for college! And where will that funding be coming from? Well, do you happen to know any foundations???
- And lots more where this came from!
In the mean time, we will be celebrating our two-year wedding anniversary on September 6th, a day in which so many of you reading this attended. Thanks for your love and support no matter where in the world our vows are being fulfilled!
Two more blogs from Thailand, then back to India!
(All pictures are fun times with long-time friends throughout Thailand.)